In our previous article, we explore the most common garage door related issues. Today, we’ll focus on issues caused by the garage door remote.
1. My garage door remote doesn’t work
When your garage door no longer responds when you press the remote control, it’s usually because the batteries need replacing or the sensors are blocked. We have compiled a lot of garage remote resources for our customers to refer to if you are after instructions. Here are a few reasons why and what to do if your garage door remote no longer works:
- Replace the batteries. One of easiest fixes and usually the most common is simply replacing the batteries and checking all electrical connections are operational on the remote control. Remove the panel on the back of the remote – you may need a screwdriver for this, and remove and replace the battery ensuring you have the right voltage.
- Check the sensors. Garage doors operate using a number of infrared sensors which communicate to the motor when to open or close every time you push a button. Ensure that all beam lenses are clean, nothing is obstructing its path and that all beams are aligned.
- Reprogram the remote control. Garage remotes use radio frequencies to send signals to the garage door opener when to go up and down. The frequency of your remote is usually printed on it but most common frequencies can include 300 MHz, 310 MHz, 315 MHz, 318 MHz or 390 MHz.
To reprogram your garage remote:
– Locate the LEARN button on garage door opener, it’s usually black or a colour.
– Hold the LEARN button down until indicator light is blinking and then release.
– Press and hold the button on your garage remote until the indicator light flashes, this means the signal has been received.
– Press and release the LEARN button once more lock in the new remote.
View our video on how to reprogram your garage door
- Replace your garage remote. Contact the manufacturer of the garage door opener with the make and model number of your system and ask for a replacement. Alternatively, you can shop online or even opt for a universal remote.
As garage systems may vary, it is always a good idea to check your garage door manual first or contact one of our friendly staff members at Gryphon Garage Doors.
2. My garage door wall switch won’t work
When your garage door no longer functions when you have pressed the wall switch, it’s most likely that the sensors are obstructed or the power source has been disrupted. Here are the most common factors and what to do if your wall switch is does not work:
- Check power connection. Believe it or not, one of the most common issues is finding the opening motor unplugged. Find out where the motor is plugged in and ensure that it has been plugged in all the way.
- Check the electrical system. This is a little more technical and hands on but it’s possible that the circuit breaker, fuse, or GFCI has been tripped or burnt out. Locate and inspect your circuit breaker for any trips, if other parts of the garage door are malfunctioning then you’ll most likely have to reset the breaker or GFCI. Replace any burnt out fuses. Ensure that all wires are connected and match up.
- Inspect motor. It can happen, but if your opening motor is no longer operational, there could be a chance that it has burnt itself out and will ultimately, need to be replaced.
How do I open my garage door manually?
If your motor doesn’t work for some reason, here is how to open your garage manually.
If you find that your garage door is still not responding or is acting strangely, check out our article on troubleshooting your garage door for some useful tips on troubleshooting your garage door.
Contact the professionals
Inspecting your garage door system can be quite a technical task and may require you to read an ancient manual filled with foreign transcripts that you are not familiar with – providing you remember where you last put it. At Gryphon Garage Doors, we have resources you can download and fully trained technicians who are available and dedicated to help with all technical questions and enquiries.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions or speak to one of our friendly staff for more information.