If you are looking to replace your garage door or are building a new home and can’t make a decision on a genuine wooden garage door or wooden look then we have devised the perfect compare and contrast to help you make the right decision. Ultimately, the garage door is the gateway to your home, it not only keeps your cars and belongings safe, it also adds to your home’s curb appeal so it’s vital you make the right decision that is best fitted. Here is a list of the pros & cons for each type of garage door:
Genuine Wooden Garage
- Customisability: Wooden doors are extremely customisable and come in many different designs. Choose from various types of timber, colour and stain to achieve that timeless and classic finish that never goes out of style.
- Eco-friendly: Being a renewable resource, wooden doors are more eco-friendly than most other types of doors. Additionally, due to its structural nature, wooden doors are easier to repair as you can simply replace the damaged portion as opposed to the entire door.
- Durability: Quite durable and are built to withstand dents, scratches, scrapes and severe weather temperature changes. Also provides a natural sound barrier.
- Versatile: If you are unhappy about the way your door looks then simply repaint or apply a different finish.
- Cost: Timber is generally more expensive than steel and other materials so keep in mind that the more you customise the greater the costs. Keeping the customisations simple and basic can keep your cost low if you choose to go genuine.
- Maintenance: One of the biggest downsides to going genuine is the frequent maintenance it requires. Repainting, refinishing, sanding and constant inspections are required to ensure that your door does not rot, warp or chip. Can be more difficult to maintain if you live in a damp climate as moisture can cause rot and warping.
- Insulation: Is a poor insulator and may end up causing a negative effect on your energy bills. There is insulation available but can drive up the costs.
Wood Look Garage Doors (Faux)
Wood-look garage doors are made out of materials such as fibreglass and wood composites. The overlay is intricately designed and can contain real wood pieces to mimic actual timber or cedar wood textures and grain patterns.
- Cost: A lot cheaper compared to genuine wood and are readily available all year round whereas seasons can affect the availability of genuine wood.
- Maintenance: Unlike genuine wooden doors, faux wooden-look garages are extremely easy to maintain as all they require is a simple wash.
- Durability: Highly durable and resistant to all forms of damage, including moisture and rot, cracks and dents, and last a lot longer with minimal upkeep.
- Style: Extremely versatile and comes in many different wood-look shades, hues and colours and styles like oak, cedar and chestnut wood to match your home’s colour scheme.
- Insulation: Cheap to purchase and easy to install when compared to wooden doors.
- Aesthetics: Although wood-look doors look realistic, they won’t fool someone with a keen eye for details up-close.
Here are questions we often get asked by our customers when it comes to wood look doors.
What’s the difference between timber look and wood look garage doors?
Nothing. Timber look garage doors is just another way of saying wood look garage doors.
Can you paint a garage door to make it look like wood?
In short, yes you can. You can achieve a wood look garage door using certain paints. It can be a lengthy and tedious process and would typically require the help of a professional. That said, it is completely DIY with the right tools and paint.
Are wood garage doors more expensive?
The cost of a wood garage door will vary depending on the size of your garage, the type of timber, colour and finish you choose. You can expect to pay up to $10,000 for a high-end wood composite door versus $2,500 to $5,000 for a wood look garage door.
How long do wood garage doors last?
The average lifespan of a wood garage door will typically vary based on location and climate, as well as the quality of product and how well it is maintained. A wood garage door lasts between 20 to 25 years if it is properly maintained and well looked after.
Need help making a decision?
If you are still struggling to make a decision on whether you should go with genuine wood or the wood-look garage door then contact Gryphon Garage Doors for a free quote and measure or if you are simply just exploring your options they can assist you in finding your perfect garage door. We cover Perth, Melbourne and their suburbs.