How frustrating is it when your body clock wakes you up thirty minutes before your alarm goes off and you find yourself tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep but ultimately fail. That precious thirty minutes of slumber is the difference between grumpy-self and happy-self. Throw in an extremely noisy garage and you will find your grumpy-self taking over more than you wish for.
A squealing and screeching garage door opening at 5am on a daily basis is enough to make anyone go crazy, including your next-door neighbours. So just exactly how does one fix a noisy garage?
A garage system may seem quite complex to fix as it is comprised of many different small components such as tracks, cables, rollers, brackets and hinges. But there are some sections which are safe and easy to maintain. Here are some simple tips to fix that obnoxious garage door:
Why does my garage sound so loud?
If your garage is squealing and squeaking, it could be because of several different reasons:
- You could be out of garage door lubricant
- Your garage door tracks could be full of debris
- Your motor could need a service
- Your garage door rollers could have seized up
How can I make my garage less noisy – Steps you can do on your own
Safety first – Before you begin, ensure that the area is well lit and that there are no objects lying around the place as you operate your step ladder or stool. Disconnect the garage door from its power source to prevent anyone attempting to open the door as you are working on it.
- Undertake a visual inspection – as simple as it sounds, make sure there is nothing blocking the tracks. This can include any small rocks, bits of debris or objects.
- Lubrication – Wondering how do you lubricate a noisy garage door to say goodbye to squeeks? It’s easy, just apply roller door lubricant to all moving parts of the garage door, including the hinges, pivot points, stems, locks and the arm bar. If your rollers are plastic then there is no need to grease them up as it only applies to metal. Lubricate the pulleys and allow for the garage door to be moved a few times to really work the lubricant through.
Wondering what do you put on loud garage doors? Ensure that you are using a silicone or lithium based lubricant as it provides a much thicker coating that will stick to metal moving parts a lot longer. Do not use regular WD-40 as it is a water based product and will prevent any grease from sticking while lubricating garage doors.
DO NOT lubricate the tracks as this will cause them to slide too much. It will also attract unwanted dust and dirt which can actually clog the tracks up. Wipe the tracks down with a damp cloth and brake cleaner to remove any dirt and grime.
- Tighten the nuts – using your deep socket wrench and a ratchet ensure that all nuts and bolts on the garage are snug and replace any that are worn out or damaged. DO NOT overtighten as this can pull the bolts right through.
- Check the rollers – replace any old metal rollers as they tend to be the bulk of the noise. As it suggests, your rollers need to be rolling, if they are sliding it is time to replace them. There are alternative rollers which are a lot quieter such as nylon or nylon covered steel.
How to stop doors from squeaking – Things better left for the professionals
- Rollers – if your rollers need replacing and your garage door happens to use Torsion Springs then DO NOT attempt to replace these rollers in the bottom bracket. Due to the springs being constantly under tension, this can be a risky job which could lead to serious injury so it is best left to the professionals.
- Strange noises – if the motor is making strange noises or has suddenly stopped working then there are a few simple steps (link to my garage door has stopped working) to consider but ultimately, if you are unsure then it is best to contact the professionals.
Looking after your garage is like looking after your car, it all comes down to regular maintenance – it is about being preventative rather than reactive. If you are not confident in any of the steps above then contact your garage door specialist to provide great advice and assistance on garage door maintenance, replacement motors or purchasing a whole new garage door system.
Where to get your garage door serviced, repaired and installed
Gryphon Garage Doors is one of the best garage door companies for sectional and roller door repair in Perth, and have been helping Australians protect their homes and commercial spaces in stylish ways for over 25 years. Why is this important? Well it means we’ve come across countless different jobs, and have had to overcome each one. So no matter your situation, you gotta get a Gryphon. We have:
- Finger proof safety
- Quietest motors on the market
- Trained professionals
- Customised products
- Warranty up to 7 years!
- After sales service
Your garage broke down and you need it to open ASAP? Not a problem, give us a call and we will try our best to get to you today and open your space. We look forward to hearing from you.